The hare and the tortoise 2.0

“That’s how the tortoise defeated the hare that day,” concluded my mother, as I sat there clinging on to her back, on the branch of a mango tree, listening keenly to her story.

“And what had happened after the race?” I asked, hopping on to another branch, to feed on to a raw mango that had just caught my attention.

“Those times were different,” she started, and went on to explain how there was no hype around the event when it was about to happen. However, the moment the tortoise had won, celebrations had begun. It was unprecedented. Mahakal, the then king of the jungle, had himself met the tortoise, congratulated him for his achievement, and offered him a position in his royal court. The family of hares, however, was nowhere to be seen until a few weeks later when all the animals had got on with their respective lives.

“What if we were to have this race again in our times?” I asked my mom.

“It’s a little complicated these days. Maybe you should consult Jaggu. After all, it was his ancestor who had been the judge then.”   

The next day, I visited Jaggu, the avuncular jackal, known not only for his wit and wisdom, but also for his reach in the inner circles of those in power.

 “Hi Bholu, what brings you here today?” asked Jaggu. I recited him the story I had heard from my mother the earlier day.

“You came all the way here to tell me this story?”

“How about having a similar event today? It would be so much fun,” said I.

“Absolutely, it’s a fantastic idea.”

“But, how do we go about doing this?”

“We first need to get an approval.”

 “An approval? From whom?”

“From the concerned authorities appointed by Sheru, our Highness.”

“Great, let’s just do it!”

“It’s not that easy. There’s only one piece of land near the river that has been earmarked for such events.”

“What’s the problem then?”

“These days they use it only for marriages and other social events of the elite.”

I looked at him disappointingly. He, however, assured me,” don’t worry, leave it to me.”

The pigs were in charge of the Clearances department. After multiple visits, requests and in exchange of several bribes, finally, Jaggu and I got an approval after two months. It was decided that the event would be conducted exactly one month from the date of approval.

Harry, one of the swiftest hares around was chosen to compete with Raghu, a descendant of the tortoise that had defeated the hare several years ago.

I decided to get on with the promotions for the event, and appointed the parrots as messengers. They dutifully covered the entire area of the jungle to ensure that the event turned out to be a success.  

I took up the task of getting the track ready for the race. Ellie, the elephant, joined me in earmarking the start and the end points.

I visited the camps of both the parties only a few days before the planned event to check on their preparations. The hares knew they were far more superior to the tortoises, and would definitely win. They only had to learn from the mistake their ancestor had committed. Owly, the owl was chosen as a counsellor for Harry. “Focus on the goal,” Owly had repeatedly reminded Harry. 

Raghu was not really keen on participating. But like always, he had been a great sport. Just like his ancestor, he had nothing to lose.

Not all were happy though. The elites were disappointed that we had succeeded in getting an approval for this event. Kaalia, the serpent, and the king’s informant poisoned his ears against us. It was alleged that Jaggu and I had embezzled funds from his majesty’s treasury to arrange this event. 

An enquiry was constituted, and the race had to be postponed indefinitely. Finally, after four weeks of investigation, there was nothing found against us, and we were permitted to go ahead with the event.     

Finally, after about a month of delay, the day of the race arrived. Our friends from all around the jungle gathered in huge numbers to witness the event. Harry and Raghu shook hands, ending all these years of bitterness, and seemed set to begin the race. Rinny, the rhino was just about to blow the whistle when a team of wild dogs came darting at us.

“I have a missive from your king himself, your new leader,” proclaimed Bhiku, the head of the herd.

I could see the fear on the faces of all those who had gathered there. There were loud whispers and commotion all around.

“Silence,” he barked

“Who is our new leader?” asked Ellie, possibly mustering all the courage he could.

“Is it Gheru?” someone whispered, amid the silence that ensued the elephant’s question.

“Yes,” said Bhiku.

Being a novice, I had no idea what this was all about. I stared at Jaggu blankly, who muttered in my ears. Gheru, the wicked lion who had long had a grudge on Sheru, had successfully overthrown him with his team of hyenas and wild dogs. 

“The event can no longer take place now. You need a fresh approval,” he ordered.

There was complete disappointment written on all our faces. But, there was nothing we could do. What we had planned with so much of excitement had come to nothing-yet again.

“What wrong did we do, Jaggu?” I asked, as we headed back home.

“Nothing Bholu, we only had the good in mind.”

“Then we must try again.”

Jaggu stared at me in consternation for a moment. “I’m really tired,” he said, “Let’s just leave it for another day.” 

That night, I couldn’t sleep. My mother could sense there was something bothering me. She took me in her arms, stroked my hair, and said calmly,” Bholu, you tried your best. The system may well have conspired against you today. But you must never give up.”

I woke up again the next day, ready to meet the new authorities.     

         

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slumdog millionaire: a windfall

MBA Entrance tests in India:an overview